7-year-old girl made $20k from selling bracelets and donated the amount to a hospital to buy PPE Kits.
Hayley Orlinski is a 7-year-old girl from Chicago who spends most of her time in pandemic by making bracelets and selling them for a good cause.
She’s selling them to help the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital to buy Personal Protective Equipments(PPE).
This is the hospital where Hayley was born and she was a patient at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Her initial goal was just to achieve $200.
But she easily surpassed that and raised more than $20,000 by charging $3 for a standard bracelet and $5 for an additional charm.
After some time, she was uplifted by Lori Elaine Lightfoot, Mayor of Chicago.
Lightfoot bought some bracelets in team colors of the Chicago White Sox, an American professional baseball team based in Chicago.
Later she shared a story and tweet on her social media. She recruited some of her friends and the effort created more than 8,000 bracelets. Most of them are created by Hayley.
Hayley says. “It feels like I’m helping a lot of people.”
“I felt scared and now I feel like I have a purpose,” she added.
Her family friend Alysson Bourque purchased some before joining the project and she said, “We were excited that bracelets were a symbol of hope and goodwill and brought people together in a time where people feel disconnected.”
Later, she introduced her idea at the Apachi Day Camp, a summer camp she attended for years. After that, the campers joined the project.
“It just became a thing that everyone wanted to do. It bonded the kids,” said Beth Miller, Camp director.
Heyley’s advice to other kids: Think about what they like to do and combine it with their wanting to help.
To place an order or help, visit her fundraising page.
- Read Next: This teen girl developed a sign language app to Make Disney movies more accessible to Deaf children
- Berlin’s gigantic thermos tower can heat countless homes this winter
- Groundbreaking: Artificial Photosynthesis Lets Plants Grow In Total Darkness And Even In Space
- Eating Oily Fish Like Salmon May Cut Risk of Developing Alzheimer’s by Nearly 50%
- 103-year-old Granny Sets Record For World’s Oldest Parachuter
- A Revolutionary Machine That Can Make Drinking Water From Thin Air